NLC University Seminars Prepare City Leaders for an Uncertain Future
Annually, city leaders from across the nation convene in Washington, D.C. for NLC's Congressional City Conference. Coupled with traditional conference programming, NLC University is hosting a series of pre-conference seminars designed to prepare city leaders for the road ahead.
This post was co-authored by Chris Abbott and Laura Lanford. It is the first post in a series highlighting NLC's 2017 Congressional City Conference in Washington, D.C., March 11-15.
Cities are at the forefront of the national economy, public safety, infrastructure and a host of other issues. But with the recent cuts to funding for cities, the need for knowledgeable, connected and engaged city leaders is more critical than ever.
City leaders need to make their voices heard – and the Congressional City Conference is the perfect opportunity for local elected officials to boost their leadership skills. From introductory overviews to in-depth explorations, NLC University seminars at the Congressional City Conference offer participants a wide range of subject areas to choose and benefit from, regardless of their background, experience, region, or size of their municipality.
NLC University is a collaborative educational and professional development initiative that focuses on four key proficiency areas: leadership, management, engagement and issue expertise. The goal of NLC University is to provide municipal leaders with an interactive and engaging approach to refine existing skills and develop strategies to better govern, serve and advocate for their respective communities.
The Value Proposition
NLC University seminars provide one of the largest opportunities for local elected and appointed city officials to receive training from leading issue experts. The interactive training sessions are offered as full- or half-day sessions in which city officials are challenged with problems and concepts relevant to current city environments. The training sessions will stretch conventional thinking by applying creative, innovative solutions.
NLCU seminar participant Lydia Glaize, councilwoman from Fairburn, Georgia, had this to say after attending the Stronger Together: City Manager and City Council Relations seminar:
"One of the best courses I've taken through NLC University. The presenters were knowledgeable and connected with their audience. They stated goals for the class at the beginning and wrote them down in terms of outcome-based objectives. The structure worked like a charm."
2017 NLC University Seminar Lineup at the Congressional City Conference:
- Healthy Cities: Lessons Learned from Crisis Leadership
- Stronger Together: City Manager and City Council Relations
- Urban Plan for Elected Officials
- An Introduction to the Intersector Process: Cross-Sector Collaboration in the Public Sector
- Congratulations, You Got Elected – Now What?
- REAL Action: Advancing Racial Equity in Local Government
- The Role of City Leaders in Public Sector Retirement
- Fostering Small Business Development and Entrepreneurship
- Let’s Talk Climate: Messages to Motivate
- The Ethical Leader: Rules and Tools
- Understanding Public Finance
- Federal Advocacy 101 (offered twice)
Featured trainers and presenters include:
- Julie Willems Van Dijk - Associate Scientist and Director - County Health Rankings & Roadmaps Program
- Kathryn Pettit - Senior Research Associate in the Metropolitan Housing and Communities Policy Center - Urban Institute
- John Chesser - Enterprise Management Analyst - Mecklenburg County; Charlotte, NC
- Janet A. Phoenix - Assistant Research Professor - George Washington University Milken Institute School of Public Health
- Karen Seaver Hill - Director - Children’s Hospital Association
- Steve Traina - Branch Manager - Institute for Building Technology and Safety
- Erica Bueno - Program Coordinator – Institute for Building Technology and Safety
- Brian Delvaux - Contracts Manager - Institute for Building Technology and Safety
- Blake Ratcliff - Director - Institute for Building Technology and Safety
- Chris Fennell - Project Leader - IBTS OnHand Resource
- Mike Conduff - President of the Elim Group and Former City Manager - The Elim Group
- Jim Hunt - President & Founder of Amazing Cities and Past President of NLC - Amazing Cities
- Sean Geygen - Urban Land Institute, Washington, DC
- Sophie Lambert - Senior Director of UrbanPlan - Urban Land Institute, Washington, DC
- Gideon Berger - Director of the Daniel Rose Fellowship Program - The National League of Cities
- Jess Zimbabwe - Executive Director of the Daniel Rose Center for Public Leadership - The National League of Cities
- Jacquelyn Wax - Communications Director - The Intersector Project
- Neil Britto - Executive Director - The Intersector Project
- Malcom Chapman - President - The Chapman Group
- Simran Noor - Vice President of Policy & Programs - Center for Social Inclusion
- Julie Nelson - Senior Vice-President - Center for Social Inclusion and Director of the Government Alliance for Race and Equity (GARE)
- Leon Andrews - Director, Race Equity And Leadership (REAL) - National League of Cities
- John Saeli - Vice President, Government Affairs and Market Development - ICMA-RC
- Jeannine Markoe Raymond - Director of Federal Relations - National Association of State Retirement Administrators
- Keith Brainard - Research director – NASRA
- David Myers - Executive Director - Ponca City Development Authority
- Penny Lewandowski - Senior consultant, External relations - Edward Lowe Foundation
- Dan Barry - Director - Path to Positive Communities
- Scott Paine - Director of Leadership Development and Education at the Florida League of Cities
- Laura Allen - Town Administrator - Berlin, MD
- Mike Mucha - Deputy Executive Director and Director - GFOA Research and Consulting Center
- Ashley Smith - Senior Associate, Grassroots Advocacy - National League of Cities
Join colleagues for one (or many) of the outstanding NLC University seminars offered at the Congressional City Conference. NLC University will also host a Leadership Summit in San Diego, California, October 2-5 as well as pre-conference sessions at the 2017 City Summit in Charlotte, North Carolina, November 15-18.
About the authors:
Chris Abbott is a Senior Associate at the National League of Cities University.
Laura Lanford is the Principal Associate for Leadership Training at the National League of Cities University.